Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: youtube vfx

youtube vfx

Hello,

Let me preface this thread by stating that this is not intended as derogatory or inflammatory in any way. I am simply curious (maybe slightly ignorant) and can never seem to find any solid answers onine.

I don't fully understand why people like Freddie Wong and Corridor Digital make those videos for youtube. I realize being a youtube partner earns you money. However, it is impossible to know how much money. I guess one question I have is about the amount of money they can make from youtube. Is it so much more than working in vfx that it is worthwhile to leave your job and create youtube content? Or are these guys that are just using youtube as paid advertising and trying to give their careers a boost? Do these videos get them commercial/video game/feature work? How do they have they have the time?? I really don't know.

I completely understand the standpoint of creative passion. These guys are making videos that they love and they are passionate about and it shows. They apply their knowledge and have fun and their work is great. They clearly have the skillset to be working at vfx houses, or start their own vfx house (which they already are essentially). They could be taking on permanent gigs for TV/Features/etc. I, also, realize that maybe being a vfx artist/supervisor is not their ultimate goal, but they clearly have a passion for vfx in general.

Have they struck gold and figured out that they can make equal or greater money without the being a vfx cog in a giant corporate wheel?

Andrew Kramer's approach makes more sense to me because he sells his plugins, stock stuff, etc.

I discuss this with my coworkers often enough that I figured I would branch out and ask the folks here. Any input from anyone would be appreciated.

And I want to repeat, these guys do great work, always entertaining. I'm glad they do the work, and I'm constantly impressed by the amount/quality of work. I am truly just curious.

B
    Last edited by brokenface; November 29th, 2011 at 02:20 PM.

Thanks for the reply Josh. I also posted the thread at cgsociety and cleared up some of my thoughts:

Don't get me wrong, I totally get kicks out of the vids. I may have worded my original post incorrectly. I shouldn't have asked why they make the vids, I mainly wonder how they have the time. It seems like they do it full time, so does doing stuff like that for youtube full time mean that it is financially lucrative for people who have the skills and passion for that type of thing? It's just watercooler talk/goofing around talk, like should we all quit our jobs and start making some of this youtube money and have full creative control? Can working on passion projects support me? Is it icing on the cake or is it the cake itself?

I love my job but there are always days when I wish I was doing my own thing, working on my projects full time, instead of part time. Being an artist for myself first. Have these guys figured out how to do that?

Their situation intrigues me because it is clear they love what they are doing and have fun, and when you continue to get crazy notes or crazy clients on someone else's project it starts to make you wonder what it's all about in the youtube world. That's all. Some articles online say youtube pays huge, other things say the opposite. I brought the conversation here just to see if anyone had any insight or knowledge or opinions on the subject. Just pure harmless curiosity on a slow day at work.

and here is the link to that thread:
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...9&page=1&pp=15

if you are serious about having the formulas and letting me in on them i would love to know. please don't take this the wrong way but 10 cents per view seems crazy. that means $100,000 for 1 million views? and freddie's channel gets roughly 4,000,000 views per video! if that's true then that equals crazy money. i don't mean to imply you are incorrect, i'm just shocked.

I would love to know more about this.

well, I dont think google pays 10 cent per view.

this is what I found out

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_YouTube_pay

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080318234311AAT0qVm

00,000 is alot of money

online cipla 6a28 online y otros

elvis online 6a28 online discount mail order

orden de compra online 6a28 acquisto cipla online

online preise apotheke schweiz 86c3 onlinea online uk

il online onlineo fa male a541 online by online money order

preiswerte 10 mg online kanada a541 online en ligne sk

Thread Information